Monday, December 28, 2009

Cell biology III - Chromosomes

1. [A]: Chromosomes are stained with basic dyes
    [R]: They have basic proteins known as Histones

     1) Both A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A

     2) Both A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A

     3) A is true but R is false 4) A is false but R is true

2. The plant with longest normal chromosomes belongs to series

   1) Thalamiflorae      2) Calyciflorae      3) Coronariae       4) Bicarpellatae

3. Hofmeister observed the chromosomes of

      1) Mitotic stage      2) Interphase       3) Meiotic stage          4) Cytokinesis stage

4. Arrange the following in a sequence of gradual increase in their chromosomal number

         I. Primary Endosperm Nucleus of Gossypium hirsutum
         II. Egg cell of Saccharum
        III. Sperm cell of Nicotiana
       IV. Colchicine treated Allium meristematic cell

   1) III, IV, I, II      2) III, II, IV, I        3) III, IV, II, I            4) IV, III, II, I

5. Identify the group with similar chromosome number

     1) Triploid Allium, diploid Oryza, haploid Nicotiana

     2) Pentaploid haplopappus, Haploid Maize, Haploid Oryza

     3) Tetraploid Oryza, Hexaploid Allium, Diploid Gossypium

     4) Tetraploid Zea, Haploid Saccharum, Triploid Pisum

6. Karyotype does not indicate

    1) Position of secondary constriction
    2) Size of chromosomes
    3) Types of genes present in a chromosome
    4) Number of chromosomes in a cell

7. In a metaphasic chromosome the ratio between the number chromatids and chromosomal  arms is 1:1. The chromosome must be

    1) Metacentric     2) Telocentric     3) Sub-metacentric     4) Acrocentric

8. Heteropycnosis refers to

    1) Differential staining nature of chromosome
    2) Non-uniform coiling of chromonema

    3) Differential distribution of Histone proteins in the chromosome

    4) Presence of chromosomes of different sizes in a genome

9. Study the following table and choose the correct combination

List I                                     List II                                                                                             List III

I) Telomere      Present in all typical eukaryotic chromosomes                   Has circular DNA ends

II) Satellite           Present in all chromosomes                                           Lacks DNA

III) Secondary constriction     Unstainable portion DNA            can not be transcribed

IV) Primary constriction           Unstainable portion                Negligible coiling of chromonema

1) I and II       2) III and IV        3) I and IV             4) II and III

10. [A]: Histones are basic proteins

      [R]: Core proteins of nucleosome are rich in aminoacids Argenine and Lysine

     1) Both A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A

     2) Both A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A

     3) A is true but R is false 4) A is false but R is true

11. Nucleolar organizer is

      1) Secondary constriction I                 2) Secondary constriction II

      3) Primary constriction II                      4) Primary constriction I

12. The following histone is present outside the nucleosome

       1) H2A         2) H4           3) H3               4) H1

13. The total number of chromatids seen in Metaphasic meristematic cell of Pisum is

      1) 14           2) 28                 3) 56                 4) 16

No comments: